Changing my world, one step at a time















Monday, February 20, 2017

Just rambling on....



I’m sorry that I didn’t post last week. It was a tough one….working on case studies for school, having to go for a blood transfusion, fighting this cold that is never ending. It’s been one thing after another. But things are looking up and I’m feeling better than I was. Needless to say, my daily movement project took a hit last week too. I did manage 20 minute yoga sessions three times but that was it. I was too tired and too sick to move beyond my bed and my chair.



I have a really hard time accepting when these things happen. It comes from having an all or nothing mindset. And that’s not good! Life ebbs and flows for all of us and there are times when we have to shift priorities and our mindsets! I have to learn to roll with the punches without deciding that I’ve failed and giving up. Slow and steady WILL win this race.

I tried a new face mask…it’s Kiehl’s Turmeric and Cranberry Seed Energizing Radiance Masque. It goes on like a clay mask and dries like one too, I couldn’t crack a smile without cracking the mask. The results were great though. My skin felt soft and it was much brighter. Less dull and flaky. So it did live up to it’s name.



My naturopath had mentioned to me that my thyroid was operating at a sub-optimal level. Although my lab values were within “normal” range as far as conventional medicine was concerned, I was exhibiting a lot of symptoms of hypothyroidism. I picked up a book called “The thyroid connection” by Amy Myers, MD and it’s confirmed what my Naturopathic Doctor has said. According to Myers there are things that a person can do beyond just taking medication. Diet, supplements and lifestyle changes can drive positive change in how well a person’s thyroid works. I had Grave’s Disease (an auto-immune form of hyperthyroidism) ten years ago, and it shouldn’t come as a surprise that my thyroid is wonky again. This time in the opposite direction. So, I’ll keep reading and decide if her 28 day plan is something I should try. I’d like to have my ND have a look at it first too. I trust her judgement and want to make sure the plan would be a good fit for me. I’m having surgery on March 20th so it may be something I’ll look into doing in April.



I’ll be going for a walk today; this warmer weather and sunshine feels so good! I’m longing for spring…Even though I’ve used my “happy light” pretty consistently this winter and have upped my vitamin D level, I still struggle with seasonal depression. Getting outside more would help but I truly detest the cold! No more how warmly I’m dressed I still feel like I’m freezing….too bad I live in Canada! This is something I really need to work on next winter.


What’s for dinner
Monday-             gluten free spaghetti and meat sauce
Tuesday-             frittata made with red peppers, onion, spinach and goat cheese
Wednesday-      poached salmon, scallops, green beans and red peppers
Thursday-            sweet potato and chickpea curry made with kale, coconut milk and cilantro served over brown rice
Friday-                  roast beef dinner at mom and dad’s
Saturday-            chicken brochette, greek potatoes, greek salad and tzaziki


Well that’s it for now. I have you all have a great and wonderful week!
C  xo



No comments:

Post a Comment