Changing my world, one step at a time















Thursday, March 2, 2017

Buy Nothing Project

So, this is the big one for March! I’ve been reading a couple of books and I’ve decided to bite the bullet. I’ll also continue to eat as unprocessed as I can and move daily (unless I’m coughing and wheezing like I am now, stupid cold!) whenever and however I can. The purpose of these projects is to incorporate positive change into my life. Hopefully, for the long haul. I’ve lost 8 pounds since January 1st. It might not seem like a lot but at least it is a step in the right direction…only 52 left to go!

For the Buy Nothing Project the main goal is to break the spending habit. Doing so will help me to pay down my debt, instead of frittering money away without thought. Filling our time with the wanting, searching and attaining of STUFF is not living! It’s not that I’m opposed to going for coffee or out for lunch. I just would like to break the habit of it and be more intentional with my spending. That means no buying books! I’ve got plenty to read so I surely won’t be lacking and it’ll feel good to see the “to be read” pile go down.



The two main books I’m using to base this project on are “The Spender’s Guide to Debt-Free Living” by Anna Newell Jones and “31 Days of Living Well and Spending Zero” by Ruth Soukup. Now I have to clarify what I mean by “buy nothing”. It doesn’t mean being unable to buy groceries of toilet paper. It doesn’t mean not being able to pay bills. It does mean buying only basic groceries and leaving the plushy toilet paper on the shelf. It means making a list of my needs and wants and leaving the wants on the shelf. There will be no prime rib this month but there will be healthy food. It also means buying paint for the house since we are slowly getting ready to sell. We do have a gift certificate to help with that however. We are planning the purchase ahead of time and since it needs to be done it’s going on the “needs” list. The other thing that I’m spending money on is a planned day pass to a great gym. It’ll come midway through the month (before a planned surgery) and after some of the painting gets done. Again this is planned so I’m not going to feel bad about it!

Needs list
cell phone (I’m cutting down on my internet data this month…that’ll save me $40)
food (from the grocery store, in season fruits and vegetables or non-brand name frozen, and only when I run out of items I already have on hand)
prescription meds and supplements that are necessary
gas
credit card payments
bank fees

Now before wonder about the mortgage, utilities etc…, I need to clarify that I’m not working right now. I’m in school. So, my husband pays for the mortgage, condo fees, insurance, utilities, his cell phone and basic internet access at home.  If I was working these would go onto the needs list. We do try to keep expenses down as much as possible in these areas, especially utilities.

Wants list
Gifts
Coffee at Starbucks
Clothes (I have lots!)
Trinkets
Makeup
Personal care products (I’ll be making my own if I run out of anything)
Eating out
Yoga videos
Magazines
Music
Books!!
Wool for knitting (I’ll use up what I’ve got this month)
Home décor (not including paint)

Let’s see how this goes! More next week…

C   xo

2 comments:

  1. I admire you with your goal settings and your focus! YOU are awesome!
    Wish I get more motivated and do the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right here with you when you're ready!

      Delete